Saturday, January 24, 2009

Pain

So I'm happy to report that I am now down to 9 pounds lost which is great however I've run into a few bumps in the road along the way.
Monday I awoke at 4am in excruciating pain in my lower back and abdomen. Heat and Advil did not help the matter any, so at 9, I headed off to the ER. Now, I'm 36 years old and being in heinous pain when I stand, walk, sit, or move in any way was kind of demoralizing. I suffered through taking a shower (no way was I going to have my boyfriend help me in there), but then he had to help me get dressed.  I simply could not even put my pants on. How embarrassing! I was thinking the whole time, "I wouldn't really care if I was thin" . and you know what? It's true! If I was thin with a great body I wouldn't have cared one bit that  my boyfriend had to help me shower and get dressed. But being overweight, I felt ashamed/awful.  It's these feelings that I internalize and that lead to depression and overeating.
Ok so I'm in the ER, they take a urine sample, blood, x-ray, cat scan (all at various times throughout the day) and find nothing really wrong with me. They shot me up several times with Dilaudid, valium, and some anti-inflammatory of some sort and even though I was out of it, my back still hurt. 
Let me tell you that I did nothing to cause this. I didn't lift anything heavy, stretch funny, move funny, shovel, or anything. This came out of the blue.   So, after 8 hours in the ER, they send me home with a 'script for Percoset and 800mg ibuprofen, telling me that if it doesn't get better I should come back tomorrow and spend another day in the ER. So I go home and make an appointment with my doctor (well, I could only get in to see the nurse practitioner but it was at my doctors office...). I go there and she does a basic exam, talks to me about symptoms, and determines it's "muscular" and prescribes me muscle relaxers. 
So for the next few days, I stay home from work taking the 800mb ibuprofen, the Percoset (trying to minimize its use), and the muscle relaxers. I sleep a lot. I wake up, sore, and sit for a while, stand for a while, then go back to sitting. It's a painful, boring week for me. Oh, and on top of that, midweek, I got my monthly visitor --  Not the easiest thing to deal with when you can't really bend over... but some how I managed.
And guess what? There's a tiny light at the end of this tunnel... I did not binge eat and I did not cheat on my diet all week!! Everyday I stayed within (or a bit lower, as I really am not doing anything all day to burn  any calories) my calories, and I've actually lost a bit more weight!! As I stated earlier in this lengthy post, I'm up to 9 pounds.  
But there's even better news - I'm at 9 pounds, with my "monthly visitor" so I'm sure to drop more once that business is over AND, I need to say (maybe it's too much information but, heck, it's my blog, right?) I am very constipated from the meds and I haven't "gone" since Sunday (today is Saturday) -- it's been almost a week. I've taken a laxative in hopes it will help. I know this is very bad health-wise so hopefully it will get resolved soon, but silly me, I'm thinking of the weight I will lose once I "go". So I'm sure to be well over 10 pounds after all this.
I kind of realize that I sound insane but it's the little things that get me all excited. Anyway I should stop on this rambling post. I need to go drink some more coffee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!